Healthy Pad Thai
Skip the takeout, and whip up this healthy Pad Thai in just 25 minutes! Loaded with fresh, crunchy colourful veggies like carrots, peppers, green onions and red cabbage, this Pad Thai is tossed with a savoury/sweet sauce that has a special skin- and joint-loving ingredient: collagen!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon crushed garlic
- 1/2 yellow or red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 whole eggs
- 1 cup cubed extra firm tofu (1” cubes)
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced into thin strips
- 1/2 cup shredded carrot
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced red cabbage
- 1/4 cup sliced green onion (green parts only, julienne cut)
- 3 cups cooked white or brown rice noodles (cook according to package directions)
- Prepare the peanut Pad Thai sauce first by adding all of the sauce ingredients in a blender or food processor and blend until smooth, then set aside.
- In a small bowl whisk the eggs. In a large wok or pan warm the olive oil over medium heat. Add in the garlic, sliced onion, and cubed tofu and sauté for 2-3 minutes until tofu begins to brown then add in the whisked eggs and cook with the tofu as you would for scrambled eggs. Continue to sauté the tofu, eggs, and onion for a few more minutes until completely cooked and lightly browned and the onions are softened.
- Add in the red pepper, carrot, cabbage, and julienned green onion and sauté for several minutes until the vegetables become slightly softened (about 5 minutes).
- Cook the rice noodles according to the package instructions, drain, and rinse under cold water then add to the pan with the tofu and vegetables.
- Pour in the peanut Pad Thai sauce and mix well with everything in the pan to coat the tofu, vegetables, and noodles and sauté until everything is heated through, about 3 more minutes.
- Divide the Pad Thai between four bowls and garnish each with the chopped green onion, peanuts, cilantro, bean spouts, and a lime wedge. Serve immediately. Enjoy!