More Whole Foods: Native Milk Proteins

More Whole Foods: Native Milk Proteins
When we think about protein, many of us think of whey. For a long time, whey has been viewed as the protein “gold standard.” In fact, do an internet search of whey protein and you’ll be inundated with thousands of product results!

Whey is a great protein source for many, but it does have some challenges:

  • Many people feel that they can’t tolerate it

  • Daily supplementation can lead to sensitivities

  • It’s not a whole food

If you love whey protein, but you don’t love the way it makes you feel, you have another option.

First thing’s first. Did you know that whey only makes up around 20% of the protein found in milk? The other 80% of milk’s protein is called casein. And while whey protein is considered a complete protein (containing all essential amino acids) it is a singular, isolated milk protein.

Made from milk as a whole food, fermented Greek yogurt proteins+ is made from native milk proteins, giving you the health benefits of both whey and casein – in a 100% fermented protein that is highly absorbable and won’t make you bloated!

Here are some of the unique health benefits of fermented Greek yogurt proteins+.

Made from Milk as a Whole Ingredient

We start with grass-fed, California milk, and add important groups of beneficial microbes used in traditional fermentation. These include Lactobacillus bulgaricus and Streptococcus thermophilus, which are traditional lactic bacteria cultures (also known as starters) to convert it to Greek yogurt. The bacteria convert the milk sugar called lactose into lactic acid, which thickens the milk and gives it a slightly tangy taste, as well as increases the bioavailability and digestibility of the proteins (we’ll get to this later).

Greek yogurt is rich in an amino acid called leucine, which can increase feelings of satiety, and glycine, which acts as a neurotransmitter.
Lactobacillus bulgaricus was named after a particular Bulgarian yogurt known for its health benefits.

In terms of health benefits, Greek yogurt protein is metabolized more slowly than whey – which can more effectively maintain lean muscle mass. Whey protein, however, is a faster digesting source of protein, which could be better if “bulking up” is your goal.

Native milk proteins, like those found in fermented Greek yogurt proteins+, have been found to be just as good – or BETTER – than whey at:

  • Maintaining lean muscle mass

  • Aiding in fat loss

  • Improving muscle strength

Diet + exercise + milk protein = greater fat loss vs. diet, exercise and whey protein

Fully Fermented = Better Digested and More Bioavailable

Fermentation has the amazing ability to “predigest” protein structures into smaller, more digestible forms of the Greek yogurt protein. Yogurt is much more easily digested than regular, unfermented milk (and whey protein). Some people who normally have trouble digesting whey have no trouble with our fermented Greek yogurt proteins+!

Health Canada’s standard for protein quality is known as the Protein Efficiency Ratio (PER). Fermentation increases the absorption and utilization of dairy proteins by up to 25%!
Fermentation increases the bioavailability of dairy proteins by up to 25%!




Demling. Effect of a hypocaloric diet, increased protein intake and resistance training on lean mass gains and fat mass loss. Ann Nutr Metab. 2000;44(1):21-9.

Dangin, et al. Influence of the protein digestion rate on protein turnover in young and elderly subjects. J Nutr. 2002 Oct;132(10):3228S-33S.

Lee H, et al. Factors affecting the nutritional quality of yogurt. J Dairy Sci 1988;71:3203-3213.

Mitchell, et al. Consumption of Milk Protein or Whey Protein Results in a Similar Increase in Muscle Protein Synthesis in Middle Aged Men. Nutrients. 2015 Oct 21;7(10):8685-99
Genuine Health

In Your Cart

Add $100.00 to receive free shipping
Cart is empty.
Subtotal: $0.00